Friday, September 21, 2012

Food, gluttonous food!!


      I used to think the food in England was terrible. I think maybe it used to be. When I was here in college and then again a dozen years ago, the choices for vegetarians were limited. However, look at my lunch today:
      At this restaurant (whose name I can't remember because like most of the restaurants  here it just seemed like two random words thrown on an awning) there were beautiful ceramic bowls filled with a dizzying array of vegetable dishes all laid out on this long table. The lovely British serving girl asked if I wanted a large or small box for "take away." Well, large, of course!! Then I made my 4 selections. What I got in return is pictured above; it seemed to weigh 5 pounds and it cost 15 pounds. Holy garden goddess! Running perpendicular to the veggie table was this table:

      I nearly passed out from over stimulation. I managed to leave the facility without purchasing anything sweet but that was only because I knew we were having cake after tonight’s dinner. Thank God I am walking all over London and taking a million yoga classes. Every block in this city has some eatery or pub that is difficult to pass up. The open markets have displays like this: 
      I wanted to stick my face in that pile of powered sugared treats but there was a sneeze guard and also I was afraid I would be arrested...but, I am sure it would have been a very civil and friendly arrest. The bobbies are all lovely. I didn't upload the picture I took of a chocolate whiskey bomb cake because it is obscene. Obscenely chocolaty, caloric, and too rich to stare at without lusting after it. I am saving you from it. 
      Below is the place for the world's greatest fish and chips and a very British food item called a chip butty. Everyone loves them here. A chip butty is a french fry sandwich. Literally. Thick cut fries right out of the fryer and placed on a warm bun. You can put any condiment you want on it: ketchup, mustard, mayo, vinegar. The locals go mad for it. 

Below are the fish and chips. We didn't get the chip butty; that would have been madness.

      At the end of the day, if you just aren't done consuming all the British treats available, but you feel guilty about your culinary urges, you can purchase a seat on a peddle-powered roving bar and work off some of the calories and maybe stay sober longer. That's right. The people in the picture below are drinking and working off the effects by peddling the vehicle around the streets of Borough Market. Genius. 





No comments:

Post a Comment